Sunday, June 19, 2011

Happy Father's Day



It's another Father's Day and dad is still here with us, although he is not long for this world. He is living in a nursing facility, if you call that living. He has good days and bad days and unfortunately I don't see daddy often because I don't live in Inverness anymore.
Daddy was a strong man of faith, stubborn, generous to a fault, and a loving husband, father, and grandfather! I realize that I'm speaking in past tense, however he is still here with us. The man I go and visit now is not the same man.....yes he has some of the memories, but not all of them. It's interesting the ones that come out on occasion when he is willing to have a conversation! 
The stroke daddy had back in 2009 the Monday after Easter has definitely changed his brain. I love this man more than he will ever know or realize and love that he is still around. However taking care of aging parents is quite difficult and can be challenging at times. We have definitely been through a lot as a family in this past year. Many of my friends are now dealing with their aged parents, much like our family has had to deal with daddy in his situation.
But some of the neat stuff is when we all get together and visit and then daddy does really unexpected things!! 
So as I'm in Costa Rica right now (yes I really am!!), and can't be with daddy I wanted him to know that I am remembering him on this Father's Day and want to thank him for being such a GREAT DAD!!!!
I love you and miss you!!


Dad on wedding day with mom, Betty!

Daddy playing choo choo train with Cheryl and Kay and Jimmy was playing piano with mom!
Family shot at Daddy's 80th birthday celebration with 4 children and their spouses and dad's 2nd wife, Barbara.


Daddy with the grandkids on the day of his 80th birthday celebration, April 2009.

 
Love this picture of daddy because it has his crooked smile and it was a quite genuine smile. This was cropped from a picture of mommy and daddy on their last cruise Oh how they enjoyed cruising!

Photobucket


"Life is uncharted territory. It reveals its story one moment at a time."
~Leo Buscaglia~

No comments:

Post a Comment